Harvington Hall – The House
Harvington is a moated medieval and Elizabethan manor-house south-east of Kidderminster. Many of the rooms still have their original Elizabethan wall-paintings and the Hall contains the finest series of priest hides anywhere in the country.old-hall
During the 19th Century it was stripped of furniture and panelling and the shell was left almost derelict. But in 1923 it was bought for the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Birmingham, which restored it and now opens it to the public.
The Elizabethan House was built in the 1580s by Humphrey Pakington. On his death it was inherited by his daughter Mary, Lady Yate. In 1644 it was pillaged by Roundhead troops. Family letters refer to politics, London fashions and medical treatment, as well as business matters.
In 1696 the Hall passed to the Throckmortons of Coughton Court in Warwickshire, who owned it until 1923.
FROM THE PAST
Harvington Hall in 1878 froma painting by Lt-Col Henry Howard of Stone.
The 1935 ‘Pastorial Play and Pageant’.
During the 1930’s restoration programme, the roof of the Withdrawing Room collapsed.